Chanel vs L'Oreal: Save or Splurge?

| On
6:04 pm
I have two foundations in my collection which remind me of each other so I thought I'd put them to the test and wear one and the other on each half of my face. These are Chanel's Perfection Lumiere Velvet and L'Oreal's Nude Magique foundations.

Both foundations require you to shake before use and are very liquidy. Although they are initially thin and runny I do not have to set either of these foundations as they both give a powdery/velvet finish once dried. To apply these type of foundations I use a dense brush kabuki style brush.

L'Oreal is a lot more runnier and harder to control so I often wasted a lot of product when using it. On the other hand Chanel is also liquidy but a thicker consistency and must easier to control as its a plastic bottle that you can squeeze out product.

After 8 hours of wear this is how my face was looking:
When I blotted my face after application I noticed the side of my face with L'Oreal did lose some coverage but it made it set better and not have that "sticky" unset feeling.

The Chanel side didn't lose coverage from this so I think the tissue must have just absorbed excess product I applied.

CHANEL
spf 15 | 30ml
Price: $77
Shade: 20 Beige
Packaging: This foundation is in sturdy plastic packaging which is able to be squeezed to get product out. Not much product falls out when tipped upside down unlike the L'Oreal one. I prefer this packaging because I waste less product by being able to better control the product.

The packaging is really simple and elegant looking. It has black packaging with white writing on it.

Overview: This foundation never looks cakey on me and does no cling to my dry areas. It does crease under my eyes when it hasn't been set with powder but that doesn't bother me as I usually use concealer under there and not foundation. I'm able to customise the coverage depending on how many layer I apply. Generally one is light, two gives medium and three gives me full coverage. I usually do two thin layers and my acne scars are barely visible (only up close). This foundation looks like it blurs the skin and does not sink into pores or fine lines. It gives a healthy satin look to the skin and I've never found it to look powdery.

L'OREAL
spf 18 | 20ml
Price: $7.48
Shade: 120 Ivory

Packaging: It comes in a frosted glass rectangular casing with a metallic purple lid. The entire bottle fits in the palm of my hand (size reference) and looks very sleek and classy for a drugstore foundation. The only downfall with the packaging of this foundation is that you have to pour it out as it has no pump or anything which can get messy. You can also pour out too much as it is very liquidy therefore making it hard to control how much product you want to use. The instructions do inform you to apply onto your finger by blocking the top and pouring it.

Overview: even though this is more affordable you get less product and end up wanting more of it. It takes longer to set but once it has looks identical to the Chanel one from a distance. Up close I notice it clings to my dry areas and settles into fine lines. It also has a satin finish however it looks powdery up close. I also find that it takes longer to build up to a fuller coverage but again looks cakey/powdery the more I add to it.

Verdict
Both of these foundation look luxurious despite the price difference so it all comes down to how they wear on my skin. Up close and personal is when I really noticed the difference and could tell which one was Chanel and which was L'Oreal. As mentioned above Chanel really looks like it blurs the skin and imperfections whereas the L'Oreal one seems to sink into pores and enhances dry areas. They have an identical finish although L'Oreal takes a little longer to set. Chanel gives me undetectable coverage no matter how much I apply, unless you know how my skin looks normally you wouldn't know I have foundation on and L'Oreal does the same with one/two layers only.

I wore both foundations for 8 hours and neither lost any of their coverage, except for wearing off my nose (I did blow my nose a few times). As you will notice in the above comparison image L'Oreal creased slightly more in my smile lines than the Chanel one did. Also from smiling (and most likely because I didn't set it) under my eyes have creased on both sides. After some hours passed I feel as though the L'Oreal foundation did loose some of its powdery look although Chanel still looks more natural and sits better out of the two. The L'Oreal foundation I found clings to the small hairs around my mouth that are usually not even noticeable because they're blonde. I had to blur it in the photo because it looked so terrible. This has never happened to me before so its kind of weird.

To be completely honest once I run out of the L'Oreal foundation, which probably won't take long because it is so easy to waste product (I hate the packaging!) I will not be repurchasing it. I rarely reach for it because I know the Chanel one looks so much better on my skin and I know it lasts on me. I already have a back up of it because it doesn't let me down.

In saying this for this comparison I would say SPLURGE because you get what you pay for. If L'Oreal improved the packaging it would be so much easier to use but Chanel is still the winner in my eyes in terms of formula and they way it sits on my skin.

If you are looking for a very lightweight foundation that is affordable I still suggest trying L'Oreal's Nude Magique foundation because everyone has different preferences with packaging and foundations sit differently on different skin types.

Like this post or comment if you would like me to do more foundation comparisons or reviews :)
 


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9