Being Vegetarian | 2 and a half years later...

| On
1:50 pm
I have to admit when I first cut out meat I was only doing it for the animals. I didn't even bother to research health benefits or ease into the transition. I woke up on the 1st of January two and a half years ago and decided I would never eat meat again.

Fast forward to now and I haven't touched meat once. I have fish occasionally, for health reasons, but that is only about 3-4 times a year. I just wanted to create a post about what I've noticed since changing my diet and share how I fit in all the nutrients our bodies need.

Iron, Protein, and Omega-3
First things first, the I, P and O that we all need in our life. There is sometimes a misconception that when you cut out meat your iron levels will drop drastically. Personally, my iron levels were lower when I was eating meat in contrast to now. For some reason, my body responds a lot better to plant sources, which is amazing!

There are so many other sources of iron, protein, and omega-3. I wanted to list a few options for you all and I ensure to eat something from a few of these categories every single day.

Iron

  • Legumes - this is my main source. I eat a lot of lentils, chickpeas and occasionally tofu.
  • Grains - I have oats every single morning.
  • Nuts & Seeds
  • Vegetables - leafy greens
Also, if you are really low you could have iron supplements but I definitely recommend eating real food over that if you can.

Protein
  • Protein powder - so easy to add into your breakfast or a smoothie. I buy mine from Tropeaka. It is important to not rely on protein powder as your only protein source though!
  • Beans and Legumes
  • Dairy - if you choose to eat it! I have cheese or yogurt occasionally
  • Tofu & Soy
  • Nuts & Seeds
  • Eggs
Omega-3
  • Chia Seeds - AMAZING!! Chia seeds have so many health benefits.
  • Flaxseed
  • Walnuts
  • Seaweed - I add spirulina into smoothies
  • Leafy greens - Spinach, kale and broccoli
  • Berries
  • Mango
Superfoods
Vegetarian or vegan superfoods are constantly popping up that I can't keep track. I've only incorporated a handful into my diet and I always make sure they have multiple health benefits suited to what my body needs. I'm not talking about vegetables like kale here, I'm talking about spirulina, maca root powder and so on.

These are a few staples that I incorporate regularly:
  • Spirulina - a source of protein, B1, B2, B3 vitamins, copper, iron, magnesium, and potassium. Has anti-inflammatory properties (good for the skin!!) and anti-cancer properties.
  • Maca Root Powder - can increase energy, fertility (helpful if you have PCOS like me) and it is highly nutritious.
  • Tumeric - Anti-inflammatory (again, great for those of us with acne), prevents cancer, heart and brain diseases, immunity booster (helped out with my tonsillitis issue).
  • Coconut oil - contains fatty acids, good for skin, hair and dental health, reduces inflammation, prevents heart disease, cancer prevention, boosts immunity and increases energy.
  • Raw cacao powder - full of antioxidants to absorb free radicals, another source of iron, contains magnesium and calcium and a natural mood elevator. 
You will notice that all the superfoods I opt for have similarities of issues I'd like to address. I wouldn't typically consume all of these daily, I switch them out and only use what is relevant. For example, I only have maca root powder at the moment to aid with managing PCOS.

A few key things I look for in a superfood is: energy boosting, iron/protein source, anti-inflammatory (to help out my skin), boosts immunity and helps prevent serious illnesses. 

Keep in mind, these superfoods are in addition to real food. They do not replace fruit or vegetables in any way. You also don't have to be vegetarian or vegan to incorporate them into your diet. I've just discovered them since going vegetarian.

Kale and Spinach - A love affair
I feel like these leafy greens deserve their own section. If I had to recommend two green vegetables to opt for then these are it. They can easily be added into any dish or smoothie and provide so many benefits. I dabble with a variety of vegetables throughout this journey but these two have stuck with me right through and I won't go a day without one or the other. 

TMI but if I am ever feeling constipated OR like I really need to detox my body I will eat these veggies and I always feel so much better.

These two leafy greens are pretty similar, with kale being a slightly better option, but I love them equally. 
Kale
  • High in fiber and vitamin A
  • Souce of vitamin C and K and iron
  • Prevents cancer
  • High in beta-carotene
Spinach
  • Source of iron and fiber
  • Contains vitamin A, C, and K
  • High in folate
  • Helps transport oxygen around the body
Evident Changes
Since choosing a more plant-based diet there are health benefits or physical changes that I have noticed. Starting with the biggest change, I feel a lot better. Internally it feels like my insides are healthier, I digest food better, I have more energy, I don't ever feel bloated or have that weird gurgly feeling I used to get when I ate meat cooked with oil. It is like my insides feel clean. 

Also, since beauty is from the inside out I have noticed my skin starting to clear up. Typically in the non-hormonal areas, although my hormonal break-outs are less cystic. Now, I do also see a naturopath to help manage my PCOS but diet definitely also plays an important role in clearing acne. Diet can also help out with other PCOS symptoms.
2017-2018
Going off the clearer skin change, I have also noticed my skin is less dry and inflamed looking. I do still get dry patches and red where active acne is but other than that, it is a lot better. I know 99.9% of people say drinking a lot of water will clear your skin but I am a very small person and drinking 3+ litres of water makes my kidneys overwork to the point I have to pee every 3 minutes. What these people fail to say is that you get water from other sources, you don't have to just drink it all. So many fruits and vegetables contain water and they count towards your water intake! This is something I have learnt since choosing a vegetarian diet and explains why I rarely feel dehydrated even if I don't drink 2L of water. Drinking water is still definitely important! Everyone has their own amounts they should consume daily as it goes by weight and height. There are lots of calculators online that can help you determine how much your body needs.

Another big change that happened quite quickly was that I had tonsillitis and colds a lot less. This could also be due to me cutting down on the processed and refined foods in my diet. I still do believe that having more fruits and vegetables has increased my immune system drastically.

It's safe to say that I have finally found the perfect "diet" for me and my body. I find it easy to not eat meat as I am very passionate about animals, but I also never enjoyed the texture or taste of meat. I don't miss it and am super happy that my iron levels are higher than before being vegetarian! 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9