Test it Tuesday: Promoting photos on Instagram

| On
6:05 pm
Tonight's post is inspired by Instagram making life difficult. I have seen a lot of people (myself included) notice a drop in engagement with their posts and a few others are paying to hopefully bring in new followers, likes, comments etc. Personally @thedailycatchup is a hobby. I don't want it to become a job or anything big, so likes and followers are just a bonus. However, I will admit getting under 100 likes is a little annoying because it takes time to take capture and then edit photos for the gram. I am sure many other agree that there is a lot of behind the scenes that go on. I feel like paid posts or having to join like/comment threads can take away the fun of things.
I have tested both a like thread and paying for an Instagram promotion purely to compare whether it is even worth paying for, in case you are someone considering it.This was only a one off thing for me so hopefully me doing this and reviewing it can be beneficial for others. Straight up I am going to be completely honest. I believe (based off my experience and stats) that joining a like or comment thread boosts your photos exposure way more than paying Instagram!

I promoted my post from yesterday for $1 which claimed I would reach 220-770 people. The promotion lasted 24 hours. I will attach a few screenshots of my stats over the 24 hour period.

This was the amount of likes I had when the promotion had just begun:

This was an update of my stats in the morning from the paid promotion:

Stats from the afternoon:


Currently how many likes my post has (not from the promotion at all!) and stats:

Overall, even though I have three hours remaining, paying to "promote" my post did next to nothing. It didn't reach the amount of people Instagram claimed it would. 220 people was their minimum and I didn't even reach that. Like I said, I won't be doing this again, it was purely for experimental purposes but I am pretty annoyed it didn't even gain me one extra like lol. If you are thinking to pay I wouldn't recommend it based off my experience. I suggest you join facebook groups to engage in like/comment threads and boost your posts exposure that way.

Instagram is definitely greedy and unfortunately it doesn't look like they're going to do anything about this engagement issue which is disappointing.
1 comment on "Test it Tuesday: Promoting photos on Instagram"

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9