A beginners guide: Green Beauty

| On
5:09 pm
You may have heard, our skin is the largest organ of our body. It absorbs over 60% of anything we apply to it and it then goes into our bloodstream. Think about how many makeup products you apply to your skin on a daily basis and then take a look at the ingredients. You are most likely applying over 100 chemicals straight to your bloodstream.
Personally, I am slowly transitioning into more natural products when it comes to makeup. When I use something up I will replace it with something "green". I already use natural/organic skincare so you can check out the related posts here.
So, what is 'green' beauty?
Green beauty simply means it is made from natural ingredients (sometimes not exclusively) and can have a very low percent of synthetic ingredients that are still safe and healthy for us. Organic beauty is a mix of natural and organic ingredients. Look out for brands that have the label 'certified organic' to ensure they are actually made up of organic ingredients as there is no law against companies stating they are "organic".

Benefits of making the switch:
  • Generally 'green' also refers to being good for the environment. Some brands use recycled or recyclable packaging, other brands may offer refills to cut down on waste. Additionally, by choosing products that are naturally derived you are supporting "chemical" free farms.
  • A massive bonus of switching over is that your skin will thank you for it! The products have nutritional value to actually boost your skin health. Also you know what you're putting on your skin (it is not a bunch of numbers and chemicals) so you can feel better about what is being absorbed.
  • Skips out on parabens - this is a preservative that actually mimics estrogen (possible link to breast cancer - some studies have shown this but you can conduct your own research)
  • Skin irritation is decreased as synthetic ingredients such as colours and dyes won't be present.
There are many other benefits but I don't want this list to get too extensive. I will attach a few links below if you're interested in learning more.
My recommendations:
I do have a blogpost dedicated to my natural beauty favourites however it is a little old and I will definitely do an update. Lately I have purchased more safer cosmetics, I just want to try them out before including them in blogposts. At the moment these are my two favourite brands that I swear by:
  • Inika Organic - I own a few products by them and they're definitely one of my all time favourite green beauty brands! I'd recommend their BB cream if you are after a base product. It offers medium coverage, is lightweight and lasts all day.
  • Adorn Cosmetics is another great brand. They offer samples so you can trial products before committing to the full price. I really like their lipstick sample pots because you get a lot of product at a lower cost. Great for someone who is new to green beauty.
I will have a new post coming soon showcasing more products so keep an eye out for that.
Here are a few sites where you can purchase natural/organic cosmetics (or other things if you wish!) -
That brings me to the end of the first blogpost in the "Green Beauty" series. Definitely keep an eye out for more reviews and recommendations coming your way! Have you ever tried natural/organic makeup or would you be interested to?? Let me know in the comments.


References:
Top 4 benefits of using organic beauty products
What is green/natural/clean/organic beauty?
Why should you switch to organic makeup?
Why switch?
1 comment on "A beginners guide: Green Beauty"

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9